Saturday, August 28, 2010

Crusades Fiction

Dear Sir Bouillon,

It is good to be back in France, Sir Bouillon. Oh how I have missed our beautiful lands! You could not fathom the scarcity of flora and fauna near Jerusalem, and after we finished our crusade, it was even more barren. Praise the Father that he would have spared my battalion from the Muslims of Tyre for they had defended against and defeated every brigade that was sent their way. Those Muslim dogs tricked the Damascenes into helping them fight against our troops which had sealed our fate as soon as we stepped within their boundaries. My battalion was sent to take over Jerusalem, where we succeeded in our efforts and took complete control over the Jews and Muslims. They outnumbered us nearly three to one, but they did not have the grace of God among their armies as we had.

While we were in Jerusalem, many of our Francs tortured and killed many Jews and Muslims, even going so far as to eat them! I was asked to join in with their festivities, but instead I abstained from their vile atrocities. These native people out here have built many beautiful buildings and temples to their gods and it was a disgrace to have to see them become demolished. I occasionally consider to myself if it was necessary to destroy their amazing architecture, but I would suppose that it was essential in taking control of the city.

After we took control of Jerusalem, we set up four Crusader states among their cities: The Kingdom of Jerusalem, the County of Edessa, the Principality of Antioch, and the County of Tripoli. I was a part of the Kingdom of Jerusalem where your very own cousin now resides as ruler. He is an extraordinary soldier and among the most pious of knights. His proficiency with a sword would bewilder and amaze you, as it should be, beings he learned from the best swordsman in France, that being you of course, Sir.

I hear that they are sending out another small band of crusaders in one year, but I do not have faith that they will succeed. There are too many Turks lurking in the hills along our pathway back to the Levant. It would be a death sentence to go with them, so I am choosing to stay in France now for the remainder of these horrible crusades. Please accept this as my resignation from the Order of Knights.
Significantly Pierre Saucé

No comments:

Post a Comment